Friday, March 5, 2010

Not Quite New

I really would like to make more gifts at Christmastime. Last year, I made three. This year I only made two. But one was an entire quilt, so think that should count as four.

When I was trying to think of something to make for my godmother, I realized that I have kind of a limited repertoire. I made her a scarf last year and had to come up with something different and ended up stuck. I have a jillion books and magazines about making stuff, so it was a little ridiculous that I had trouble thinking past scarf. Part of the problem was that I had limited time and needed to make things fairly quickly. But it is mostly that when I make gifts, they are usually big blankets, baby blankets, and scarves which are just short skinny blankets. I’ve made baby hats, but only because I had yarn left over from the blankets. So when it was time to make something other than a blanket or blanket like object, I was stumped.

In the end I did manage to come up with these bowls. They are crocheted and felted. I also added some random embroidery. It was my first time felting and I really liked this project, which is scary because I need another craft like I need a hole in my head. But this combines crochet and needlework so I think it should only count as half a new thing.

3 comments:

The Author said...

I love these, Alexis! I have been wanting to try felting - and would love to make something like this! Thanks for sharing.

Mary said...

I love your bowls!
What type wool yarn did you use and how did you get them fuzzy after they were made?

City Girl Quilter said...

Thanks Mary.

The yarn is Lion Brand Wool. When I felted them, I added some baseball caps and towels to the washer and dryer to create additional friction. I think this is what caused the fuzziness.