Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Where were you September 18, 2006?

Today is my baby's first birthday. A year ago today, I woke up and jumped out of bed at 4 am when my water broke. Quite an achievement considering how ginormous I was. Fourteen hours later I had a c-section. The kid was not making his way towards the light. Well it turns out he was well over nine pounds. Significantly heavier than the seven pounds my gyno estimated a few days before. So an hour later he made his appearance. Happy and healthy. And everyday this year he's been a big old bundle of joy. And I can't wait to see what the next year has in store for us.

So this post isn't completely off topic, at this stage, John loves to look at quilts. I actually took him on the shop hop when he was about 4 months old and he seemed to really enjoy it. I also used to take him to guild meetings. He loves the attention he gets from quilters. I'm doing smaller, faster quilts because they are easier to work on with him around. I've also discovered a new benefit of hand piecing and quilting. Portable and easy to pick up and put down. And I think I'm adding more textural elements to my quilts because of him. He likes to touch the fabric, beads, threads and jewels. I find myself adding more texture to engage him in the quilts. Yes, I let him touch my quilts. Fabric is meant to be touched and I can't think of a reason to make a quilt that can't be touched.

1 comment:

Anna Banana said...

Well, I surely don't remember WHAT I was doing, but I'm certain it wasn't as important as GIVING BIRTH!!!

Congratulations on one whole year.